Saturday, November 14, 2015

Skipping Stones Tip/Technique Blog Hop



Hi there!  I'm excited today to take part in my first Tip/Technique Blog Hop as part of theSkipping Stones Design Team.  Each team member will share a card along with a tip or technique for designing or even organization.    

I have a couple of tips in regards to this card.  When I'm having trouble coming up with a design idea I'll sometimes flip through my 6x6 patterned paper pads and see if anything sparks my interest.  I found this adorable sky with doily clouds and immediately thought of the hot air balloons from the Uplifting set.  I'm not the most confident when it comes to coloring so I tend to do a lot of paper piecing just like I did here with the balloons.  My #1 tip for paper piecing is to outline your images with a black marker once you've cut them out.  It helps to provide a crisp edge that allows the images to really pop.  The sentiment is taken from Heartsong 2.

Be sure to visit everyone along the hop and leave some love as one lucky commenter will win a stamp set.  Why not have a browse in the Skipping Stones Design Store too - just in case you're the lucky winner!  ;)

Teresa
Jen  <---You are here!

Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Papertrey Ink
Patterned Paper:  (Doily sky from The Pier 6x6, Red, yellow & green from The Open Road 6x6) Crate Paper
Stamps:  (Balloons from Uplifting, Sentiment from Heartsong 2) Skipping Stones Design
Inks:  (VersaFine Onyx Black) Tsukineko
Gems:  Recollections

11 comments:

Teresa Kline said...

what an amazing tip Jen, I have not ever thought of sifting through my designer paper...I will have to do that. I am a big fan of paper piecing too. Hope you have a n awesome weekend!

sparkle & shine kindness! *~*

"glow" said...

thanks for a lovely tip! .. and i love those gorgeous doily cards;) so awesome of an idea.. and that paper piecing is so well done i didnt notice that it wasnt stamping! this tech for me often takes extra patience but i love the looks... skipping on by..leaving love:)

Christine said...

Love your paper-pieced balloons and appreciate the tip! The doily-like clouds are fabulous!

Skipping stones design said...

I just LOVE the doily clouds. How creative!!!

Lynn said...

I love this! Such a cool idea Jen!

Lindsey said...

What a sweet card, Jen! While I have never seen a reason for you to distrust your colouring, but you are an ace at paper-piecing!

Lisa Elton said...

Terrific card Jen, love the DP!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

So creative , to use doilies for clouds!

D.Ann C said...

Love those balloons floating in doily clouds!!

Joyce said...

Love your paper pieced card. That is a great tip about looking through patterned paper. I should try it, since of course, I have a couple of pads to work with.

Coralynn Murray said...

Such a lovely card and that patterned paper is so pretty! I love paper piecing and I find that I don't do it enough. Great tip about going over the cut out image with a marker. I didn't think it made a difference until I forgot to do it and I only noticed it after the card was put together and I could see a big difference.